Monday, April 4, 2011

The unpublished Farewell note

Saturday, 2nd Apr 2011,

Dear brother.

I wrote this note way back in December 2010 when I had my mid life crisis and wanted to drop everything and go back to Vietnam. Of course it didn't happen then because it did not come from the right place. But it's happening now, so I thought I'd share it with you. I had a lot of farewell lately and I feel so honored, and grateful for each and every friend I have in Singapore. This is an excerpt

These are the 3 most important things I've learned in the past 8 years here.

Lesson 1: No matter where you are, it's the people around you that matters. The people I've met in NUS KE Hall gave me the confidence to step up and prove myself, even as a Vietnamese small town boy. The people from NOC taught me so much about entrepreneurial attitude and aptitude in work and in life. Wavelink colleagues who accompanied me through frustrations and hardship as a young professional kick starting his career. And Accenture folks who are so brilliant, smart, and dedicated. My 8 years here have not been an easy road (and the learning curves are killer tidal waves), but the people make it meaningful.

Lesson 2: No matter what you do, put in your hundred 100%. This, particularly goes to Accenture Billing BSCS guys. I mean many times we are doing what we don't like (or we think we don't like), and many times we make tough choices. But whether it's working 14 hours day, or patching 2000 records in 2 hours, everyone is there, everyone put in 100%. And I'd like to say, as hard as it seems at time, it does pay back. Someone does see it and recognizes it. 

Lesson 3: Life is short. You have to do what you want. You have to do what you're sure. Yes you can excel and work hard and do something so well, maybe make a fortune out of it, but eventually, at the end of the day, it's the "What do I want in life?" that matters. A lot of time I feel we do know the answer to that questions, we are just too afraid of change and uncertainties. I'm taking that leap of faith.

And so, the positive impacts that have been made are not lost. It will transpire to more young (Vietnamese) professionals whom I will work with and (try to) inspire.

With love

No comments:

Post a Comment