Monday, June 6, 2011

I'm just ok

Oklahoma, June 06th 2011

Dear brother,

I realized I have been absent. Not just from you physically cos I am in the US, but also as your mentor, your friend. I apologize. I guess the past month I was so busy adjusting to here, and also, to be... happy. I know. It is stranger coming out of my mouth than for you to hear it. But I am happy. Maybe for the first time in the past 2-4 years.

But this is not about me (Ha, that's news!). It's about you. I spoke with mom and I can understand the tremendous pressure you are in. I mean we were all born in the society and the culture that places so much focus on excellency that it's impossible just to breathe being mediocre.

The shocking truth (maybe to mom) is, my brother, I am a mediocre. I am just ok. It's funny how people gave me those title "At the top of peer group", etc. because I am not. I am just ok.

I like to do things and I am all over the place. I take photographs. I paint. I do programming. I do project management. I do business. And the fact is, I'm not the best at any of those.

The thing is, when I do something, I put my whole heart to it (and then move on to other things). As long as you live in the moment, unapologetic, doing your best, with a little bit of luck, you'll get it.

So yeah, unless you aim to be Mark the Facebook dude, or Steve Jobs, there's no need to be the best. Mediocrity is the best :) Just do what you love, and love what you do. Life is too short to come out on top doing what you hate :p

So brother, this weekend is your big entrance exam, and I wish you luck. However, I wish even more that you get to study and do what you love

I'll be here, every step of the way, distracting you with my PS3, Xbox Kinect, Nintendo 3D, iPad 2 and Android phone (On the side note, you are the luckiest 15-year-old ever :p You have all these toys and still you have love from people around. ;) Ha!)

Love

No comments:

Post a Comment