Saturday, August 17, 2013

The lone adventurer

Vancouver, 15th August 2013

Dear brother

I typed this to you in a hotel room in Vancouver. At 23rd floor, with the view to the mountains and ocean, it does feel like I'm on top of the world.

It's my 4th solo trip. And as much as I enjoy it, I think I'm getting a little too old for these solo trip. I wish you were here brother. I enjoy travelling with you.

So, here are a few things I learned during this travel, and I want to share them with you

- Reading map is such an important skill. I walked collectively around 20 km in 3 days. I got lost often. Yet, every place that I was, I had wonderful surprises and images to prove. The best way to travel, and to experience a culture, is to walk, and get lost, and talk to the people. I had interesting conversations with coffee girls and park walkers, etc. It's a great experience

- Blue-collars are such delightful people to hang out with. Living a long time in elitist society (and to think a Master in Software Engineering is a white-collar profession is rather obnoxious, but I'd take that notion), I have always find delights and amazing lessons from others who might not have the same educational background. Perhaps that's because of dad and our humble background when I grew up. But more so, people who work hard for an honest living can be so wise, and down to earth, and so friendly at the same time. (Not that white collars aren't. They are just a little more judgemental at times).

- Young people need to learn respect. There were 2 young men on the bus, who look and sound like they were on drugs. They were loud, obnoxious, and when the (African) bus driver (politely) asked them to shut up, they shouted "Is that because I am white?" To think we live in this day and age, and to think these are college kids going home for vacation, it makes me sick to my stomach. Not that all young people are like that (I met some delightful young wise ones), but it just shows how much more we need to do to teach respect and kindness, than just academic.

- I might be a closeted mountain person. I mean I love the beach. I was born and grew up near the beach. But I miss the mountains almost immediately. Well, maybe in Calgary I can have both :p

- I'm secretly a romantic. I might be cynical and bitchy and acting all intellectual and shit, but I'm all mushy inside. There were a European couple sitting at the next table, and when the guy lean over, kissed his partner, I was just like "Awwww". I know. I know.

- Travelling alone can be emo-inducing. But when you make the most out of it, it can be all-empowering. It makes me believe "I can do this". I'm a planner, a walker, a photographer, and most of all, a loner.

So, there we are. A memorable short trip that is much needed before I explode with stress. Now, back to the 5th email my prof sent this morning. LOL

With love little bro. Next year we will do so many amazing trips together

Love
Your brother


No comments:

Post a Comment