Friday, May 3, 2013

Learn vs. Study

Calgary, 3rd May 2013,

Dear brother,

You are having your final exams today, so I thought I would talk to you a bit about studying and learning.

I'm back at school. At my age, it's not an easy task. Somehow I am doing pretty well. I guess when I put my mind into something, I tend to do it well. I know you will be too. Your score might not be great right now, and your studies may not be stellar (yet), but I know you are a great learner and a great adapter.

The problem with studying is that, in academic settings, the goals being set and the method of transferring knowledge is too different than reality. In life, we don't often get to sit in the same room, listening to everything, and then get exercises to do it. We have to pick up experiences along the way, and then make connections and apply them when the circumstances arise.

I'm struggling a bit with the busy lifestyle of both working and studying, especially with the salary I got. But learning is important. Getting the experience that you need in life is important. I guess sometimes when we are young, we trade time for knowledge, and then trade knowledge for money. When we do have enough to wisdom (and money), will it be too late for time to do what's more important in life?

This is your last year of high school. I know you don't get along well with a many friends at school, but 18 is a pivotal time in your life, I hope you live it the way you wish for.

I will be there with you every step of the way

Love
Your brother

No comments:

Post a Comment