Monday, February 28, 2011

The Cheat

Monday 28th February, 2011

Dear brother,

Today, I’ll talk with you about cheating.

Cheating is when you having the thoughts/plans of attachment with another party, and then lie about it to your partner. Therefore, cheating is not merely an act of infidelity, but the state of emotional disassociation and loss of honesty, which is the core of any lasting relationship.

I know this guy (OK, in adult terms, it means myself) who has been married for a while now. 3 years almost, to be exact. His wife is a kind and wise woman. He learned a lot from her, about life, about love, integrity, and what’s important in life. However, the marriage has been stalling, for a while now. The thing is, he feels stuck, in a foreign place that is her home, not his. She has this huge family, and everyone else is more important than he is. She knows what he can do and how much he wants to live the life he envisioned, but she can never give that to him.

Entered the second girl, named M. She’s a young, soft spoken girl, whose family is hugely rich and successful, worldwide. She offers him a chance to return home. She offers him something he knows and desires that he can do so well. Only catch? He has to prove himself to her family, to start from scratch. He is weary of that (proving), but in his heart, he desires home, and a chance to break free…

And then there was N. She’s a successful business woman, young, and attractive. She offers him home, and offers him a chance to break all definition of age and limits, the sky he always wanted to reach. All she asks is for his time and his commitment. He has to leave his wife.

Now, I know none of this makes sense to you right now (In due time it will, I promise). But let’s consider this guy for a minute.

He’s probably not gonna leave his wife and run away to reach for the sky (with N), or even try that (with M). He is just pondering the thought. But then he lied to his wife about it…

You see I have never approved of cheating. Honesty means a lot to me. But, it then makes me wonder, in life, when the choice between previously promised commitment and lifetime aspiration comes down to one, gun point to the head, what would one choose?

I would choose the latter. I know I might be signing myself up as the “Asshole of the year” here, but at the end of the day, I’m just a very very young guy trying to live my life without regrets.
Just one advice though, once you choose, someone will always get hurt. At least, have the decency to be honest about it. That’s what I would tell this guy to do.

So now, what is his name? He’s “L” for death note. (See, it’s L, M and N :p) OK, just kidding.

With love

No comments:

Post a Comment