Wednesday, December 30, 2009

About Cyclop and Cyclop Jr.

31st Dec 2009

Dear brother

I guess this will come as a good news to both of us. After much considerations and months of reading reviews, I have decided to adopt baby Cyclop Jr., a brand new camera body, and an additional lens.

But before getting into Cyclop Jr., let me tell you about Cyclop, the priceless camera that I would give you, as per your and Mom's request.

I got Cyclop on March 2006. It was my first ever item that would cost more than 500USD. That was my first full time job (even as an intern, it's full time). That was the first time I bought something I truly wanted, with my own hard earn cash. It seemed a little impulsive at that time, but until now I have never regretted for even a second the decision to get it.

Cyclop was with me in most of my memories of the wonderful 2006, where life took a drastic positive turn and opened doors for me. He was with me through the roughest and yet the best moments.

He also marked the beginning of my would be much desirable Photography career, and later on my courage to pick up painting. A lot of things have changed since then. I still have a lot more to improve. But I'm learning.

After 3 years and 9 months, he still functions perfectly. That's why even after months of being tempted by a much more talked about and much more expensive Nikon, I still didn't want to replace him. And that is why I decided my next system would be an Olympus, and his name shall be Cyclop Jr.

I guess I have good fate with Olympus. After contemplating so long, everything points back to the familiar. In a world where everyone has a cool iPhone (more about iPhonology as a religion later), talked about Mac, and use well-advertised brands like Nikon or Canon, your brother is an old techno-dino who prefers to be cool by not buying supercool things EVERYONE ELSE has. Plus I love to indulge in the familiar.

That brings us to Cyclop Jr. a Evolt 620 system that is known for Image Stabilizer (something that is very useful for Olympus since their camera shake is quite bad), 270 degree Live view (so I don't have to crawl on the floor or take pics without seeing preview), Noise reduction, and other semi-pro specs. So far after reading A LOT of reviews and using it for 3 hours, I kinda love it. Something like Cyclop, but very much improved.

And he fits into EVERY single accessories baby Cyclop has.

So, this means I'm gonna give you the biggest responsibility in your life yet: to take care of my Cyclop.

It's great that you love photography too. It's great that you want to be better at it. So well, I'm giving you my precious baby, take care of him well.

10 years down the road, I hope we will be sitting together, over a beer, reminiscing over our both FIRST ever DSLR camera. I hope we will be able to talk about photographs that capture moments that would last forever.

With love.

No comments:

Post a Comment