Saturday, December 5, 2009

About friends

Sunday 2:13am 06-12-09

Dear Brother,

I just got home from a long night out with my friends (I got you the "Transformer" Calendar you love, btw. I expect you to keep them till you see this letter). I just want to share with you a little about friends.

You see we the HOs (ok that sounds wrong) do not really have a lot of friends. Perhaps because the way we are, you know, Vietnamese and all that. But I'm SURE that you have trustworthy friends, just like I do, and you care about them. Here are what you can give them:

- Be there for them. Whether it's their birthday, their loss of a loved one, their bad day at work, etc. As long as you know, and you can, try to be there for them. Life can be difficult. And I know, just like me, you will thing nothing top growing up in Vietnam during postwar period with a family who was destroyed partially by that war. But trust me some got it worse (and you got 11 less years of suffering compared to me :p). So, be there.

- Forgive them and accept them for what they are. There will always be the one who works too much, the one who got married and disappeared from the circle, the fat one, the noisy one, the "I hate relationship" one, the hopeless romantic ones, etc. Sometimes they let you down. Sometimes they ditch you and disappear for as long as their heart won't ache, and come back to you for advice. Let it go. Sometimes you hurt more and become angry just because how close they are. If they are your true friends, at least be fair to them. Even if you are ever their first choice. Well, you can choose not to be a choice at all...

- Treasure the moments you have with them. There will be the guy who changed job and work too much more. There will be the guy who got married and never looked back. There will be a cute brave little girl who can only come see you once a year. There will be the friend you once thought you are in love with and it all turned out to be heartaches. The point is, nothing is permanent. People are people, sometimes they change. Life changes everyday. So whenever you have a good time with your friend, treasure that. Keep that to revise in the next meeting. And keep it at that. Soon you'd change to.

So that's my piece about friendship. I trust you are honest, and true, and generous with your friends. You will have many good ones to come. Just remember, friends are people too.

Sometimes the best thing is to hold on to them, to be there. Sometimes the best is to let them go, to vanish yourself.

And with me, you always have a friend.

With love


No comments:

Post a Comment