Thursday, December 3, 2009

Prelude

Friday 4 Dec 2009

Dear brother,

By the time you read this note, you'd be around my age now. And I have either die of cancer because of smoking (though I really doubt it), or I'm working my days and nights away (even in my thirties) to really tell you everything I want to tell you now. Twenties can a be difficult time...

First I want to applaud you for your language proficiency, as to understand your brother's broken language is not an easy task. I decided to write these notes in English because I want you to learn, to appreciate and understand (without our parents reading them). You know how Mom and Dad can sometimes simplify our lives to perfect children's life and they will freak out if it's not. For many years I painted a very simplistic pictures of my life to them.

Secondly I want to re-innate that growing up is difficult. I understand what you are going through now. I've been there. So it IS ok to once in a while break down. It IS fine to not be the perfect one, the sane one, the strong one, and the dependable one. Just do not make mistakes you will regret.

Lastly, the reason for these letters is that, I want to be there for you. I'm sorry that I have been overseas for all these years. I love family, and being with family. I want to be there for you, when you grow up. I'm sorry for being a bad older bro. I know how difficult growing up is. Even more so when you are on your own. There are so many things you just wish someone told you. Mistakes you can avoid. Times when you wish to hear "I know. It sucks". A pat. An embrace. I hope these letters can do that for you, as you move through life. Because, as brothers, I love you.

I will send you several notes from now, base on my daily life experience. Read it. Disagree with it. Debate it. Agree with it. Do whatever you want with your life. Just know that I'm there.

With love

Big Bro



No comments:

Post a Comment